W. F. BRUNING, farmer; P. 0. Forest City; was born near Bremen, Germany,
Feb. 5, 1822; when about 18 years of age, he shipped on board the German whaleship Izaria, bound for Greenland, where the crew engaged in catching whales and seals ; the Izaria sailed within a very short distance of the most northern point known at that
time. Mr. Bruning followed the sea for several years, visiting many different parts of
the world, and seeing many curious sights. In 1848, be came to Illinois, and, in the
following year, located on the farm where he now resides. June 18, 1841, he married Miss Magdelain Allebrand in New York City ; they have seven children, six of
them boys Elizabeth J., Fred L., Harman G., Ira W., Henry T., William A. and
George A. Mr. Bruning assisted in organizing the first Sunday school in this part of
the country, and is a consistent member, of the Baptist Church. He owns a fine farm
of 160 acres situated near Forest City, 111.

GEORGE W. DUNN, physician, Forest City; son of Richard and Ann (Wilkinson) Dunn. His father was born at Gales, Yorkshire, England, in 1806 and died
in 1875 ; he was a shoemaker. His mother was a daughter of James and Letitia Wilkinson, of England, was born in 1809 and is still living, in England. They had four
children, all of whom survive, viz., James, living at Newcastle-on-Tyne, England, who
is general freight agent of the Trafalgar Street Station ; Jane, living in Richmond,
England ; Ann, married and living in Edinburgh, Scotland ; and the subject of our
sketch, who was born June 29, 1841, in Richmond, Yorkshire, England ; he early
attended school at the national and corporation schools in Richmond; in 1854, he was
appointed as pupil teacher in the national school, in which he served five years. He
passed a yearly examination ; in 1860, he came to Massachusetts and engaged for six months in a woolen mill ; leaving there, he assisted in the office of the American Temperance Union, at New York, for some time, and afterward engaged in charge of the
M. E. Church, at Milburn, N. J.; in September, 1861, he was received into the North
Ohio Conference of the M. E. Church, and, in 1863, was ordained Deacon and, in 1865,
Elder. He was married, Sept. 10, 1863, to Kate Shaffner, daughter of Martin and
Susannah ShafFner, of Pennsylvania ; her father was born in 1787 and died in 1870 ; her mother was born in 1809 and died in 1850; both were members of the M. E. Church, he for sixty-five years. Mrs. Dunn was born April 4,1841. In 1865, the Doctor
moved to Missouri and settled in Knox Co., engaging in the ministry and practicing
medicine; in 1869, he moved to Barton Co., Mo., and continued in the ministry and
practicing, afterward moving to Jasper Co., Mo., continuing the same avocations ; in 1871-72, he attended the Eclectic Medical College, at Cincinnati. Ohio, was valedic- torian of the class and graduated in the spring of 1872; he returned and continued
his practice at Georgia City, Jasper Co., Mo.; he afterward moved to Newton Co., Mo..
practicing there some time, and thence to Barton Co., in 1876 ; he still continued his professions, and, while there, was made President of Barton County Sabbath School
Association for two terms; they then located at Forest City, 111., July 12, 1877,
where they have been ever since ; he still continues his practice and is doing a lucrative business. He not only devotes his time to his profession but throws his soul into the duties of the Sabbath school, church and temperance movement, which should be
the effort of every physician who expects the smile of Providence on his labors. He
is now Vice President of the Sabbath School Association of Forest City Township
and was chose”n lay delegate to the Illinois Conference of the M. E. Church for 1879 ; he and his wife retain their membership in the M. E. Church at Forest City ; he has
been a member of the Missouri State Eclectic Medical Society and is at present a member of the Illinois Eclectic Medical Society ; he was also Corresponding Secretary of
the Missouri Medical Association. They have five children Harry W., A. Lincoln,
Kingsley G , Anna K., and Richard Martin deceased in February, 1879.

GEORGE HIMMEL, farmer ; P. O. Bishop’s Station ; is a brother of J. W. C. and T. F. Himuiel, whose sketches appear elsewhere in this work ; he was born Dec. 11,
1835, in Germany, and in 1846 he came with the family to Mason Co., 111., making
their first settlement in Quiver Township, on the farm now occupied by T. F. Himmel ; he remained there until married Sept. 14, 1859, to Elizabeth Haas, daughter of Carl
Gumbel, of .Germany, a blacksmith. They soon settled on her farm of 200 acres
in Spring Lake Township, remaining there eleven years, and then moved to Forest City
Township, and settled there on 160 acres, partly inherited by his father; they have in
all 520 acres, probably worth 50 per acre. In 1864, he was licensed as a local preacher of the Evangelical Association ; he has had nine children Elmira, Katie E.,
Charles E., Annie, George A., Henry, Mary, Frank and an infant deceased ; all belong
to Church. Mr. Himmel has been connected with the school offices, and has been Superintendent of Sabbath schools. Though his sun is now declining in the western horizon, he
enjoys good health, and is quite active for his years. Faithful and reliable in all his
relations of life, he bids fair for more extended usefulness in the country where he

MRS. LOIS A. INGERSOLL, farmer ; P. O. Forest City ; widow of the lateSamuel Hinkley Ingersoll, who was born in Hinckley, Medina Co., Ohio, Dec. 20, 1828. At
the age of 21, he went with the rush of emigration that swept westward to California in 1849, and there remained until 1855 ; upon his return, he went into the commission
business in Chicago, 111., where he remained for about a year. In 1856, he moved to
a farm about five miles south of Forest City, Mason Co. He was united in marriage
with Miss Lois A. Van Orman, Dec. 13, 1858 ; Mrs. Ingersoll is a native of Medina Co.,
Ohio. They had ten children, seven of whom are living, three boys and four girls. When Mason Co. was first organized, under township organization, Mr. Ingersoll was
elected the first Supervisor of what was then Mason Plains Township, now Forest City
Township, and was re-elected, year after year, with a few exceptions, during the remainder of his life ; he died in the prime of life, deeply mourned by all who knew him, Nuv.
30, 1877. The estate comprises 1,060 acres of as fine farming land as can be found in Mason Co. Mrs. Ingersoll has, with rare business tact, succeeded in managing her large
farms admirably well.

JOSIAH JACKSON, carpenter and builder, Forest City ; was born in Seneca
Co., Ohio, May 8, 1834, where he remained until he arrived at manhood. He married
Miss Mary A. Beard Jan. 6, 1856. In the spring of 1857, they left their home i Ohio and came to Illinois, locating in Vandalia, where he worked at his trade as carpenter for four years. He then removed to the place where Forest City now stands, and
immediately went to work at his trade. Mr. Jackson built the first two dwelling-houses
in Forest City. He.continued to work at his trade here for a year and a half, when he
returned with his family to his old home in Ohio, and resumed his accustomed occupation. May 2, 1864, he enlisted in Co. B, 169th Ohio V. I., and was mustered out of
the service in the following September ; he then returned to his family in Ohio. Again
the little family took their way to Illinois, where he found employment as a school
teacher, immediately after his arrival. Mr. Jackson entered into the mercantile business,
but met with reverses that caused him to abandon it, and resume his old occupation of
carpenter and builder, in which he is still engaged. He was elected Justice of the Peace
in 1866, and again in 1874 ; he has held a commission as Notary Public for twelve
years in Forest City ; for the last ten years, he has devoted all his spare time to the
study of the law, and is occasionally engaged in the pracrice of that profession, with a
fair degree of success. With the usual amount of study and practice, he is bound to succeed in this profession. Mr. Jackson has just been awarded the contract for building
the schoolhouse at Manito, which is a capital indorsement of his capacity and energy
as a business man. They have been blessed with four children Eva D., born May 28,
1857; B. Fuller, Aug. 28, 1860; Sherman G., Jan. 22, 1865; Rutherford, Oct. 3, 1876.

HELENE KREILING, farmer; P. 0. Bishop’s Station; was born September
25, 1821, in Germany; her father’s name was Harman Wittc; she came to Illinois in 1850
and in 1852, was married to B. H. Kreiling. who was born in Germany and came to Illinois about 1 850 ; they settled for some time on a farm near Havana ; in 1854, they bought and settled on the present farm of 180 acres, which they have improved and made of fine quality. Mr. Kreiling held offices connected with the
schools, and was a member of the Lutheran Church; he died April 1, 1879, leaving a wife and nine children Harman, Anna, Henry, Maggie, Mary, Liddie, John, August
and George. They are all members of the Lutheran Church.

ZACHARIAH MILLER, farmer ; P. 0. Forest City ; like many other citizens of Mason Co., Mr. Miller was born in the adjoining territory, which is now Menard
Co.; he was born Aug. 24, 1823, near where Athens now stands. He married Miss
Nancy Cogdall, a native of Kentucky, Sept. 5, 1845 ; they have eight boys and two
girls, all living except the eldest son, Nult, who died in 1872 ; their births were as fol- lows : Minerva, Aug. 3, 1846 ; Nult, Oct. 5, 1848 ; Hardin, March 13, 1851 ; Sidney,
Nov. 7, 1852; Mahala, Jan. 19, 1854; Simeon, Dec. 25, 1856; Clinton, Feb. 25,
1859 ; Austin, Dec. 27, 1860 ; Terry, Aug. 14, 1863 ; Holley, Sept, 3, 1865. When
Mr. Miller, with his wife and one baby, came to Mason Co., in 1846, his worldly pos- sessions consisted of a horse and cow. Mr. Miller now owns 200 acres of good farm
land in the vicinity of Forest City, Mason Co., 111.; he now resides in the village of
Forest City.

ELI T. NEIKIRK, station agent, Forest City; born in Washington Co., Md.,
Sept. 6, 1828 ; moved to the present site of Forest City in 1853 ; his wife’s maiden name was Olivia G. Beard ; they have had four children Clyde G. (who is now sta- tion agent on the P., P. & J. R. R., at Pekin, 111.), Charles Otho (telegraph operator
and railroad book-keeper, at Forest City, 111.), and the two younger children, Laura D. and Don Juan. He was elected Justice of the Peace in 1857, and served four years. He enlisted as a private in Co. K, 85th I. V. I., and was commissioned Second Lieutenant by Gov. Yates May 26, 1863 ; the regiment was engaged in many severe battles,
and closed their military career with the memorable march to the sea under Gen. Sherman ; he was mustered out in 1865, having served nearly three years. On his return
to Forest City, he opened a grocery store and restaurant, which he conducted for nine years ; he was appointed station agent on the P., P. & J. R. R., at Forest City,
which position he now holds ; he owns 240 acres of fine land in the vicinity of Forest City.

T. G. ONSTOT, merchant,- Forest City ; was born in Sugar Grove, in what is now
Menard Co. His father settled in that section in 1824, being one of the very first set- tlers of Sangamon Co. The Onstot family moved to New Salem, on the Sangamon
lliver, in 1831. At this time, the timber-lands along the Sangamon and Salt Creek were full of roving Indians. The family remained at New Salem, where the elder Mr.
Onstot kept the village tavern, until 1840. Abraham Lincoln boarded at this house
when he began his first law studies with Squire Green, and made his home with the
Onstot family for two years, during which time young Lincoln practiced surveying in the surrounding country. Mr. Lincoln and the elder Mr. Onstot were warm friends as long as they lived. In 1840, the town of New Salem was moved bodily two miles north, to the present site of the city of Petersburg, which was made the county seat of
Menard Co. The Onstot family moved their buildings with the rest to the new town,
where they resided until 1847, when they went to Havana, where they remained until 1852. Mr. Onstot, the subject of this sketch, was married to Miss Sarah L. Ellsworth
March 18, 1852. Immediately after their marriage, they moved upon a piece of raw prairie, three miles from the nearest house, where, by hard work and frugal habits, they
contrived to improve their farm and make some advance in prosperity. Mr. Onstot lived on this farm for thirteen years, when he moved to Forest City, and engaged in the lumber business, and still continues in this line of trade. In the spring of 1879, he formed a partnership with George W. Pemberton, under the firm name of Geo. W. Pemberton
& Co , and engaged in a general merchandise business. Mr. and Mrs. Onstot have had six children, three of whom are living Ella C., born May 6, 1859, died Dec. 20, 1878;
Mary E., Susan E. and Lulu C. They also have an adopted son. Mr. Onstot has served the people of Forest City Township as Tax-Collector for four years, and Justice
of the Peace four years.

SAMUEL T. WALKER ; P. 0. Forest City ; was born in Adair Co., Ky., Jan.
30, 1830. At the age of 23, he left his native State, coming directly to Mason Co.,
where he worked on a farm one year. The next few months were passed in a cabinet
shop in Havana. In 1855, Mr. Walker removed to Spring Lake, where he assisted his brother John, who was engaged in a general merchandise business, for about three years. In 1858, Mr. Walker, in company with his brother and three other young men, made
the memorable trip to Pike’s Peak, with the usual degree of success, being absent about
six months. Upon his return, in 1860, Mr. Walker went into partnership with Mr. A.
Cross, in the grain, lumber and general merchandise business, at Forest City, 111., which
business was continued for several years. Mr. Walker was united in marriage with
Miss Julia A. Fosket April 13, 1863. They have had eight children, one boy and
seven girls, three of whom are still living, as follows : Esther E., born Sept. 1’2, 1864 ; Polly
S., April 1, 1874; Patsey Y., April 7, 1878. Mr. Walker owns a fine residence in Forest City, and about one hundred acres of good farming land in the vicinity of the
village. He has been Clerk of Forest City Township for twelve years, and was elected Supervisor in 1878, and re-elected in 1879.

JAS. S. WALKER, physician and surgeon. Forest City. Dr. Walker was born
at Walker’s Grove, in what was then Sangatnon County, May 4, 1839, being one of the
first white children born in that part of the country. At the aj;e of 19, he began the
study of medicine with Dr. Dieffenbacher, at Havana, and in the fall of 1860, entered
Lind Medical College, now the Chicago Medical College, and graduated in 1863; he
then began practice in the same neighborhood where he was born and raised at Walker’s Grove ; he practiced there for three years, with very flattering success. In 1865, he formed a partnership with Dr. Hall, and engaged in practice in Mason City.
This partnership lasted for two years, when he became a partner with Dr. J. C. Patterson ; this lasted until 1869, when Dr. W. removed to Forest City, where he now
resides. He was married to Miss Sarah E. Updike, a native of Trcniout, Tazewell Co.;
111., Aug. 16, 1864. They have had four children, three of whom are living Alma,
March 12, 1866; Ella, Jan. 4, 1868; Frank U., Dec. 22, 1869; Artie, March 16,
1874, died when a little more than a year old. The Doctor enjoys a large and lucrative
practice in Forest City and the surrounding country.

MRS. L. C. WHITAKER, farmer; P. 0. Forest City; was born in Adair Co., Ky., Feb. 22, 1836, her maiden name being L. C. Cheek. She was married to Mr. John B. Whitaker Sept. 22, 1857. Mr. Whitaker was born May 13, 1826, in Muskingum Co., Ohio, and removed to Winchester, 111., in 1849 ; he removed to Mason Co.,
upon the farm now occupied by Mrs. W., in 1852. She has five children living Henry, born Oct. 27, 1858; Mary, Oct. 15, 18’U ; James and William, twins, born
July 16, 1864; Reuben, Aug. 23, 1871. Mr. Whitaker died in 1872. Since her husband’s death, Mrs. Whitaker has carried on her farm, with the help of her children,
with good success. They own about 200 acres, situated one and a half miles south of Forest City.